You only have to open a magazine to read about what we should be doing and what we shouldn’t be doing when it comes to our overall health and wellbeing. We should be drinking x number of glasses of water, we should be eating 5 (or is it more nowadays) portions of fresh fruit and vegetables, we should be making sure we get x hours of exercise every day. Keeping up with all these rules and regulations can be exhausting, and that in itself is no good for your health either!
At the end of the day, shouldn’t we be making it all as simple as possible?
One way which you can boost your overall health and wellbeing, whilst trying your best to live as healthy a lifestyle as possible, is massage therapy.
No products found.
There are many benefits to having regular massages, and you can even invest in a massage chair. This means you don’t need to go out and make an appointment in a spa or health centre, if you don’t have the time, and it will certainly save you cash in the long run too! Aside from how you have your massage, and what type (there are several to choose from), a regular massage is fantastic for helping you to relax.
We’re overwhelmed with sensory information these days, be it from social media, work, technology, home life and everything else we need to deal with, and a massage on a regular basis could be just enough to help quieten your mind, allow you to focus on your breath, your inner thoughts, and get in touch with yourself on a more deeper level. That may all sound very ‘New Age’, but the fact of the matter is that to be happy in general, we need to be as in touch with our inner selves as possible.
So, what are the main health and wellness benefits of having a regular massage? Let’s discuss.
- Studies suggest it can help to reduce stress, which when allowed to build up can be extremely dangerous for overall health and wellbeing
- Known to help with chronic pain conditions, such as fibromyalgia or arthritis, to name just two examples
- Can reduce the tension in the muscles, which lead to general aches and pains
- Reduction in muscle tension also reduces the chances of developing tension headaches, which are also part of the stress process
- Research suggests it can help manage and reduce symptoms of anxiety, especially in someone who has a known anxiety disorder
- Can boost overall mood, which can be useful for those who have regular low mood or even mild depression
- Studies have demonstrated that it can reduce the symptoms of common digestive problems, such as IBS
- Can help to reduce the frequency of headaches, especially migraines
- Helps to promote better sleep, which helps with stress, tension, and focus
- If you have a soft tissue injury, regular massage can help with the healing process
- Can also help with improving skin elasticity, and help to reduce the appearance of stretch marks
As you can see, a regular massage has more to it than pampering!
The type of massage you need depends on your personal circumstances, but a Swedish massage is one of the most popular. This is a full body massage, which is low to medium in pressure and intensity, and can help to promote all of the above benefits to come your way.
The Dangers of Stress
Regular massage is one of the best ways to avoid stress becoming a huge part of your life. Of course, there are other things you need to incorporate into your life too, such as not taking on too much, making sure you get enough sleep, you eat a healthy diet, and you exercise regularly, but having a regular massage can help to promote deep relaxation, which is perfect for kicking stress out of your life.
If you have no idea why stress is dangerous, this next section is something you need to pay attention to.
Basically, a little stress in your life is good. A little stress can push you on to achieve and give you that small adrenaline boost which pushes you to achieve. Now, when stress becomes too much or prolonged, it can become extremely dangerous for your health. There is so much research on the negative effects of stress.
- Cause anxiety and depression
- Increase your chances of having a heart attack, stroke, or developing diabetes
- Ruin your sleep pattern
- Make you irritable and withdraw from social situations
- Cause palpitations and panic attacks
- Ruin your concentration
- Cause raised blood pressure
- Cause feelings of being overwhelmed, doom, and everything negative
These are just a few of the dangers, with a few more besides. From that, you can see just how important it is to avoid stress at all costs. When stress becomes severe, it can be life threatening, it’s really that simple.
The ability to totally relax isn’t something which comes naturally to most people,and meditation is something which many people struggle with. The fact remains that relaxation is a big kick in the gut for stress, so if you can learn how to do it, you’ll stand yourself in the best stead. That’s where regular massage comes in handy.
Having a regular massage, perhaps once or even twice per week can be enough to lower your blood pressure, lower your stress levels, promote a better sleep pattern, reduce the chances of headaches and tension, and basically make you feel like you’re floating on air. This is fantastic for your mood and your wellbeing on the inside, but it will show on the outside too. Someone who feels calmer and more relaxed, will appear that way in their appearance, and what is more attractive than that?
Put simply, if you want to boost your overall health and wellbeing, you could do much worse than giving regular massages a chance!
Last update on 2023-07-31 at 12:32 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API